Wednesday 21 December 2011

Okay, so I know it's old news that Marc Jacobs won't be the new designer for Dior, but I thought what he had to say about critics was so inspring.

"Honestly, I think any woman who comes into our shop — she buys a dress because she likes it. She doesn’t really care what the references are or what a critic writes. Fashion isn’t a necessity. It pulls at your heart. It’s a whim. You don’t need it. You want it."
I don't know about you, but I find this statement so true; I don't know anyone who actually looks up a peice of clothing just to see what's been said about it before they decide if they buy it or not. Although you may consult your friends on something that's not in your comfort zone, noone is particularly losing sleep over what a critic has to say...apart from perhaps the designers.
I'm not discouting critics/critiques at all, as I think often they do offer the designer a great insight into what the majority think, and it also informs the public and industry insiders into what common thoughts are, and what future trends may or may not be.
This comment really sums up what Marc Jacobs is about. He wants to keep pushing himself with designing, he wants to dress and inspire the public - he loves what he does and he wants everyone to see and experience this. Having his gorgeous face on my blog is also a bonus.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...